Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I started eating bison this year.  It all started with an article Lita picked up on how bison are restoring the plains, as cattle have destroyed our grasslands (and much more).  It made me realize how awesome bison are and we had our first bison burger in Santa Fe with our brother, Jafari at the Cowgirl Cafe.  It was incredible.  Leaner than beef and feels so good in your body.  Raising bison is one of the best thing big-time ranchers can do for this land.  Their hooves restore specific grass species that have been disappearing.  They don't need extra feed, so no heavy equipment or soy fields or corn fields, and they are never pumped with hormones or antibiotics.  They are the perfect North American solution to our disgusting, earth-destroying meat habit.  Well, that and to cut down meat consumption and buy from small, organic farms, yes?  I know, we know.
You can check out this Smithsonian article on bison here.
I've been making bison burgers and bison chili, and it got me to thinking of all the ground beef recipes that were popular while I was growing up and how I could honor them (and still honor my body).  So today I dragged my sick-ass up out of bed and Lita helped me prepare food for the week and this was one of the creations:
Bison  Stuffed Peppers
1 lb ground bison
6 bell peppers
1 sweet onion diced
6 garlic cloves minced
3 T EVOO
1 large can crushed tomatoes with basil
1 container of cottage cheese or ricotta
1 small container of pitted black kalamata olives (chopped or left whole)
2 cups cooked quinoa, cous cous, or rice
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
cumin and cayenne to taste
crumbled feta for topping (or sharp cheddar, blue cheese, goat cheese...)
Cut the tops off the peppers, pull out the core, and put them on a baking tray  in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes
Saute the onions and garlic in EVOO and add  the bison  - cook until browned. In a large bowl, mix the bison mixture with the rest of the ingredients except for the feta
Stuff the peppers with the mixture and bake for about a half an hour.  The peppers should be soft but not mushy.  
Remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes, sprinkle with feta, and serve.

Other things you may want to add... green peas, fresh chopped basil, artichoke hearts, or kidney beans


Finally we have photos!  I have been wanting to put them up for all posts, but we're staying with our friend Brad and Brad's dishes are ugly (sorry Brad!) so we had to wait to find some good thrift store treasures.  I'll try to go back and add photos to the older posts as I make the dishes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment